Sunday, January 1, 2012

Which do you love more?


A recent Facebook post asked the question, “Which Do You Love More: God Or Obedience?” I believe this makes a false dichotomy between love and obedience. I will admit that I love God, and that I want to obey God. But if I love God, then obedience will follow (John 14:15; 1 John 3:22-24).
The scriptures place great emphasis on obedience, but the religious world tends to deemphasize it. The grace of God in Christ motivates and instructs my whole-hearted obedient faith (Titus 2:11-14). The love of Christ constrains me (2 Corinthians 5:14), and duty obligates me (Matthew 16:24; Luke 14:33; 17:10). Jesus died for me, and I live for Him by faith which requires a genuine heart of obedience (Micah 6:8; Romans 16:25-26; Hebrews 5:8-9). By my obedience, I do not make void the grace of God (Galatians 2:20-21).
It’s not a question of which you love more. No one, that I know of, “loves obedience.” All the people that I call brethren and that I have the opportunity to worship with love God and want to obey Him.
Kyle Campbell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home