Monday, March 7, 2011

To the praise of God

One of the most fundamental tasks of a Christian is to praise God. Peter wrote, “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light” (1 Peter 2:9).


A lot of the psalms concentrate on the proper praise of God. One in particulate is Psalm 71. Four times in this psalm the writer declares his desire to praise God:


Psalms 71:6: “By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother’s bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.”


Psalms 71:8: “Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day.”


Psalms 71:14: “But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.”


Psalms 71:22: “I will also praise thee with the psaltery, even thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel.”


Just like the psalm says, you need to keep praising God. He has been so wonderful to us. We praise those who have done good; therefore, it is right to praise God. The Hebrew writer said, “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name” (Hebrews 13:15).


Kyle Campbell

1 Comments:

At March 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM , Anonymous D. Mccollum said...

Thanks for the reminder Kyle! C. S. Lewis said that we need to be reminded more than taught. Prayer, Bible reading and attendance help us to "train the habit of faith." Daily praise accomplishes this as well. In praising God, I praise and acknowledge Him; I adore Him. In doing so, I am also reminded of His greatness, love, kindness, mercy, and provision. I am reminded of my need, my inadequacy. I am reminded of what I believe and why I believe. My faith is reinforced-fed and nourished. Yes, praise to our God is something that should be on our minds and in our hearts daily. Certainly, He is worthy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home